Luminarie De Cagna is an Italian family business founded in 1930. Back then on festive occasions the company illuminated buildings and squares with oil and carbide lamps. This was quickly switched to electric lights, and since 2006 only LEDs are used for new projects. The lights are joined to make large curtains of light, which are placed onto buildings or spread out on other objects in the area. In this way, whole streets and even squares are full of light.
During the 2012,Ghent Light Festival Ghent, Belfortstraat (Belfort Street) will be the domain of the Luminarie Cagna. A giant colonnade made of wood and hundreds of thousands of colored lights, with arches reminds one of Romanesque and Renaissance architecture. The entrance area is an imposing 28 meters high. The audience walks into a fairy tale gallery, surrounded by light and color.
Energy Wasted? On the contrary, this immense work of art with 55,000 LED lights consumes only 20Kwatt / h of electricity.